My Polyvore Sets

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Distress Your Own Jeans

Ok ladies, it's time to channel Macgvyer.  Take an old pair of jeans that still fit, but you don't wear much.  Mine were an old pair of London Jeans in an outdated wash.  Next, go around the house and find things that might make good tools.  I found a funny shaped serrated knife that I rarely use, which I suspect has something to do with seafood.  Also,  I donned a coarse nail file, some sandpaper, a sponge and bleach.
First, go online and find a pair of distressed jeans that you like.  Observe where the distressing is and how much of it looks good to you.  I jumped right in, wielding my funny knife, and proceeded to cut my finger.  Go me!  So, blood stains are optional.
Saw the knife back and forth until you have a worn area - go lightly at first till you get the hang of it, you can always add more later.  Remember, the areas will get bigger in the wash so I recommend doing a little - washing the jeans and then doing some more.
I used the sand paper and nail file to rough up any corners like at the pockets and the zipper area.  Don't forget to work your knife across the bottom of the leg to give that frayed, worn in look.
Finally, put some bleach on a sponge and work it over the distressing - this adds a really nice faded look.  You can also rub some bleach down the center of the leg which will not only look worn, but also add nice contour.  Let them sit overnight & give them a final wash.  As you wear and wash the jeans they will look just like the ones you would have dished out big bucks to have.  Mine only cost me a band-aid!      

No comments:

Post a Comment